By Julie Stewart
AS I write this, we are in the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic. Life is very different from just a couple of weeks ago. Our personal and working lives are affected hugely. Schools are closed, we are in lockdown not able to leave our homes other than to shop for food, to exercise or work if not able to work from home. We are being furloughed and, in many cases, businesses are closing.
In the midst of this disarray we are all trying to keep things running as smoothly as possible. TD Group are operating as near to ‘business as usual’ as we can and by the time you are reading this, hopefully, we can begin to see light at the end of the tunnel.
Wherever we are right now, it’s clear that the way we recruit will change for the foreseeable future and maybe for the long term. Hiring managers will have to adapt and get used to more online interviews. To help with these changes and in order to successfully conduct an online interview, we have put together some key tips and recommendations for both candidates and managers.
* Plan your time and where you will take the call so as not to be disturbed. If at home, make sure your family know not to interrupt.
* Don’t get distracted. Turn off phones, emails etc
* Think about the location and backdrop. Is it appropriate?
* Do you have a strong signal in that location? Maybe check it first. Or use a landline if you have one.
* Look the part, as if you were conducting face to face. This will help to put you in the right mindset.
* Be on time. Don’t keep the other people waiting, just because its virtual!
These are just some recommendations. TD Group already have the correct processes in place to help. Initial video interviews, Skype and Zoom, other brands are also available! All are used by us and we can easily involve the hiring managers. We are more than happy to help plan your recruitment strategy or help candidates find a new role.
We are also offering special rates to local businesses to help them kick-start recruitment to enable teams to grow again in the coming months.