THORNTON College students have achieved excellent exam results this summer with a record number of sixth formers securing their first choice university and record results in Maths and Music at GCSE.
The results included:
* Almost 25 per cent of all A Level grades at A* or A
* Almost half of all A Level grades at A* to B
* 100 per cent of Vocational Awards graded at Distinction and Distinction* Level (A Distinction* is worth exactly the same number of UCAS points as an A* at A Level).
* Almost half of all EPQ grades at A* or A
* 100 per cent of all EPQ grades at A* to C.
* Almost 20 per cent of GCSE results were at the highest possible grades 9 and 8 (legacy A*)
* Twice the national average of all grades of all subjects at grades 9 to 7 (legacy A* or A)
* Over 50 per cent of all grade results at 9 to 6 (legacy A* to B)
* Success for newer subjects with 100 per cent 9 to 6 (legacy A* to B) in Drama and Citizenship and Politics.
Val Holmes, who has been Head Teacher at Thornton College since last September, said: "We are a school which has at its heart the value of each individual and a belief in the importance of hard work and a desire to succeed.
"These superb results are proof that, at Thornton, success at the highest level is achievable across the range of our educational opportunities. I am delighted to note record results in a number of subjects and particularly pleased that strengths in STEM subjects, such as Maths, are equalled by strengths in creative subjects like Music.
"As a non-selective school, which values the talents of each individual, we recognise that success comes in all shapes and sizes and that excellence across the board is a real possibility. I am, of course, tremendously proud of all the girls. This is a huge achievement for all the students and the school."
Thornton College is an Independent Catholic boarding and day school for girls situated between Milton Keynes and Buckingham. It is the most successful non-selective school in the area and educates girls aged two and a half to 18 years. Thornton currently has around 420 students including international boarders.
To find out more contact 01280 812610.